Friday, September 20, 2013

Big Story, Little Bee


Rule #1 about Little Bee Club: You Do Not Talk About "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave.  It even says this on the inside jacket cover, "We don't want to tell you what happens in this book.  It is truly a special story and we don't want to spoil it . . . Once you have read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it.  When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is how the story unfolds."

With that out of the way, I won't say much, other than I loved this book.  You should read this book.  I  read it in a day in huge greedy gulps because I wanted to see the magic unfold. When I needed to put the book down, I actually felt angry.  Chris Cleave astounded me with his ability to inhabit the minds of two very different female characters and make me believe in them; both Little Bee and Sarah made me think about life on different levels and plights in the world that I never really considered before, but now I have to know more.

Not only that, Cleave's style left me a bit breathless at times in both Sarah's and Little Bee's narration.  Here is just a little taste to draw you in if you need a little peek of the magic:
"What is an adventure? That depends on where you are starting from.  Little girls in your country, they hide in the gap between the washing machine and the refrigerator and make believe they are in the jungle, with green snakes and monkeys all around them. Me and my sister, we used to hide in a gap in the jungle, with green snakes and monkeys all around us, and make believe that we had a washing machine and a refrigerator. You live in a world of machines and you dream of things with beating hearts.  We dream of machines, because we see where beating hearts have left us."

That's all I can give you.  No context to this quotation, but just a taste of Cleave's magical storytelling.

So . . . without much information other than a glimpse at Chris Cleave's style, I strongly recommend that you become a part of Little Bee Club.  You won't be disappointed in Little Bee's big story.





No comments:

Post a Comment